Rouses Point-Keeseville Bicycling along the Lakes to Locks Passage
View Rouses Point-Keeseville along the Lakes to Locks Passage in a larger map Click to refresh map
The 38 miles along the Rouses Point-Keeseville segment of the Lakes to Locks Passage provides some scenic lake-side and lake-view riding along the shore of Lake Champlain. Communities along the way include Coopersville, purchase Chazy, Plattsburgh, Ausable Chasm and Port Kent.
See the Lakes to Locks Passage website for all the details about this exciting All American Road, a designation given to those roads having features that do not exist elsewhere and are scenic enough to be tourist destinations unto themselves. The Lakes to Locks Passage website Biking page has information and links for the popular Lake Champlain Bikeways, along with a wide variety of other bike routes, bicycle paths and towpath trails along the 225-mile Lakes to Locks Passage.
Road Bike Opportunities
There are a number of on-road bike rides and loops along this segment of the Lakes to Locks Passage.
- Family Ride – The Point Au Roche Family Ride is a six-mile loop past farms, woodlands and pastures near Beekmantown involves almost no climbing. It begins at the Point Au Roche State Boat Launch, with some of the ride in the state park. A portion of the ride is along the shore of Lake Champlain next to Mooney Bay, with spectacular views of the island of South Hero and the Green Mountains of Vermont.
- Moderate Ride – The William H. Miner Story is a 35-mile loop starting in Chazy, just north of Plattsburgh near the Alice T. Miner Museum. The route passes the Miner homestead, Hearts Delight Farm, which is a working dairy farm open to the public with a variety of exhibits and Morgan horses. The route travels through rolling farmland on quiet backroads and includes a section of lakeshore riding along Lake Champlain.
- Training Ride – This loop between Plattsburgh and Lyon Mountain is a lake-to-mountain 62-mile loop out of Plattsburgh. It is suggested that this loop with very little traffic be done in a clockwise direction to be gradually climbing through a curvy section. The route of the True Brook-Standish-Lyon Mountain-Dannemora Loop is available on Map My Ride.
State Bicycle Route 9 is on or near the Lakes to Locks Passage. The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) developed this and other statewide routes to assist experienced cyclists in planning long-distance bicycle trips. There are maps, mileage charts and service summaries posted online at Bicycling in New York State.
For the Lake Champlain area, check out these other road bike resources:
- 25 Bicycle Tours in the Lake Champlain Region
- Road Rides near Lake Champlain
- Lakes to Locks Passage Bike Links
- Lake Champlain Bikeways
- Adirondack Coast Bikeways
- Northern Adirondack Coast Bikeways
- NYS DOT – State Bicycle Route 9
Mountain Bike Opportunities
There is a wide variety of mountain biking opportunities along this segment of the Lakes to Locks Passage. Always dress for the weather and carry water, snacks, map, repair kit and cell phone. There are well-equipped bike shops in Plattsburgh that can provide maps and advice on mountain bike rides in the area.
For a Family Fun Mountain Bike Ride, try:
- Point Au Roche State Park Mountain Bike Trail, north of Plattsburgh. Offers some single track with a lot of twists and turns, as well as different surfaces and great views right along the lake. Only a couple of miles of good single track but fun stuff.
Not to Miss
- Alice T. Miner Museum, Chazy – Alice T. Miner opened her museum in 1924 to illustrate to local children what life was like in the 18th century.
- Kent-Delord Museum, Plattsburgh – The Museum interprets daily life during the late 1800s. Changing exhibits include the Battle of Plattsburgh.
- Ausable Chasm – Exposed Potsdam sandstone dating back 500 million years, views of the chasm available from the Route 9 bridge near Keeseville.
also see Lakes to Locks Passage for many more points of interest along this route
Bike Events in the Area
- Wilmington/Whiteface Bike Fest, Wilmington, 3rd weekend in June.
also see the complete list of bike events for the region
Bike Shops Nearby
- Maui North, Plattsburgh
- The Wooden Ski & Wheel, Plattsburgh
- Viking Ski Shop, Plattsburgh
also see the complete list of bike shops for the region
- Adirondack Regional Tourism Council
- Clinton County
- Essex County-Lake Placid
- Franklin County
also see the complete list of visitor information resources for the region
Check in with Chamber offices, bike shops and other sports shops in the area to get the latest information and review your route with someone knowledgeable of the area. When biking, dress for the weather and carry water, snacks, map, repair kit and cell phone. When biking in rural areas, services could be few and far between, and cell phone service may not always be available. See the Before You Ride notices in the bottom section of this website, as well as the Disclaimer notice.
Below are some of the sights along the way – scroll over an image to see its title, or click an image to enlarge it and then move through the entire gallery (click on one of the large images to return here, instead of using the “back” arrow).