Port Henry-Fort Edward Bicycling along the Lakes to Locks Passage
View Port Henry-Fort Edward along the Lakes to Locks Passage in a larger map Click to refresh map
The 64 miles along the Port Henry-Fort Edward segment of the Lakes to Locks Passage includes the two major historic sites of Crown Point and Fort Ticonderoga as well as the Lake George Loop of the Lakes to Locks Passage.
Along the route are the communities of Crown Point, Ticonderoga, Glens Falls and Whitehall. The Lake George Loop passes through Hague, Bolton Landing and Lake George.
See the Lakes to Locks Passage website for all the details about this exciting All-American Road, a designation given to those roads having features that do not exist elsewhere and are scenic enough to be tourist destinations unto themselves. The Lakes to Locks Passage website Biking page has information and links for the popular Lake Champlain Bikeways, along with a wide variety of other bike routes, bicycle paths and towpath trails along the 225-mile Lakes to Locks Passage.
Road Bike Opportunities
On-road or path rides and loops in the area include:
Family Ride – Glens Falls Feeder Canal Trail, a 9-mile trail connects Glens Falls and Fort Edward along the historic towpath of the Feeder Canal near the Hudson River and Old Champlain Canal. The Feeder Canal Trail follows one of the last surviving sections of the original 1820s Canal System. see also Canal Trail map and Canal Trail descriptions
Moderate Ride – Warren County Bike Path, a 17-mile paved pathway linking Glens Falls to Lake George, mostly along paved paths dedicated and signed for bicycle and pedestrian use. click to view a path video, also see Bike Path map and Bike Path user comments
Training Ride – Lake George Loop, 100 miles around Lake George, with optional Tour Boat ride.
State Bicycle Route 9 is on or near the Lakes to Locks Passage. The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) developed this and other statewide routes to assist experienced cyclists in planning long-distance bicycle trips. There are maps, mileage charts and service summaries posted online at Bicycling in New York State.
For the Lake Champlain area, check out these other road bike resources:
- 25 Bicycle Tours in the Lake Champlain Region
- Road Rides near Lake Champlain
- Lakes to Locks Passage Bike Links
- Lake Champlain Bikeways
- Adirondack Coast Bikeways
- Northern Adirondack Coast Bikeways
- NYS DOT – State Bicycle Route 9
Mountain Bike Opportunities
- Pack Demonstration Forest, Warrensburg – The terrain is relatively flat on these marked and maintained trails, with the exception of an optional long climb up Ben Wood Mountain. Several loops are possible on dirt and sand roads.
- Shelving Rock Road, Fort Ann – Road and trails in the Lake George Wild Forest can be extremely hilly. The Upper Hogtown Parking Area is 1,000 feet higher in elevation than the shoreline of the lake. There are former carriage roads that offer some easier riding.
- Cole’s Woods Trails, Glens Falls – These cross country ski trails right in Glens Falls provides some family-friendly mountain biking.
Not to Miss
- Champlain Monument & Lighthouse, Crown Point
- Fort Ticonderoga, Ticonderoga
- Lake George Overlook from RT 9N south of Hague, could be one of the best roadside views in the Adirondacks
- a swim in Lake George
- The Hyde Collection
- Old Fort House Museum, dating from 1772 and visited by George Washington
- Rogers Island Visitors Center, features displays and artifacts from the area’s earliest known Native American inhabitants
also see Lakes to Locks Passage for many more points of interest along this route
Bike Events in the Area
- Tour of the Battenkill – Cambridge, 2nd weekend in April, with preview ride on the 3rd Sunday in March
- ididaride!, Adirondack Bike Tour – a loop ride from North Creek through Speculator and back, 3rd Sunday in August
also see the complete list of bike events in the region
Bike Shops Nearby
- Inside Edge Ski & Bike Shop, Glens Falls / Queensbury
- Rick’s Bike Shop, Glens Falls / Queensbury
- The Source, North Creek
also see the complete list of bike shops in the region
- Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Adirondack Regional Tourism Council
- Warren County, Lake George Tourism Information
- Washington County Tourism Information
- Lake George Area Information
- Lake George Region Information
- Warrensburg Area Information
- Athol and Thurman Area Information
also see the complete list of visitor information resources for the region
Always check in with these Chamber offices, bike shops and other sports shops in the area to get the latest information and review your route with someone knowledgeable of the area. When biking, dress for the weather and carry water, snacks, map, repair kit and cell phone. When biking in a rural area services could be few and far between, and cell phone service may not always be available. See the Before You Ride notices in the bottom section of this website, as well as the Disclaimer notice.
Here are some of the sights along the way, starting in Port Henry, scroll-over a picture to see its location, click on an image to enlarge and scroll through the gallery.