Massena-Ogdensburg Bicycling along the Great Lakes Seaway Trail
View Massena-Ogdensburg bicycling along the Great Lakes Seaway Trail in a larger map refresh map
The 46 miles along the Massena – Ogdensburg segment of the Great Lakes Seaway Trail provides some scenic views of the St. Lawrence River, while following the Raquette River in the vicinity of Massena. Communities along the way include Louisville, Waddington and Red Mills.
See the Great Lakes Seaway Trail website for all the details about this National Scenic Byway, one of only three in the region. The Seaway Trail Bicycling Kit, available from the online catalog of Great Lakes Seaway Trails, is a valuable companion to any bike tour in this area. Developed by the Adventure Cycling Association, this 8-piece kit highlights the Seaway Trail Bicycle Route and includes a 111-page illustrated guidebook with six loop tour brochures and a 20-by-26-inch map for biking Cayuga, Oswego, Jefferson and St. Lawrence counties. The map includes turn-by-turn descriptions and highlights points of interest in four map sections covering the Great Lakes Seaway Trail from Massena to Oswego. The Massena-Ogdensburg segment is Section 4: The St. Lawrence River.
The Seaway Trail Bicycle Route diverges from the Great Lakes Seaway Trail in this segment of the Scenic Byway around Massena and between Ogdensburg and Waddington. In those two sections, quiet, lightly trafficked roads more suitable for biking have been chosen. The sections of the Scenic Byway bypassed should not be used by bicyclists, as road conditions are not suitable for bicycle use.
Road Biking Opportunities
Moderate Ride – The Seaway Trail Wilson Hill Bicycle Loop, Raymondville and Louisville. A 20-mile loop ride off the Great Lakes Seaway Trail, with variations that take in sections of the Raquette River, Grasse River and St. Lawrence River. A great starting point is the Wilson Hill Wildlife Management Area and its observation tower.
Training Ride – Frederic Remington Ride (57 mile loop). The famed Western artist Frederic Remington was a native of Canton. This ride passes the Indian River Wildlife Refuge, through the hamlets of Rensselaer Falls and Heuvelton and along parts of the Oswegatchie River to Ogdensburg, where you can tour the Frederic Remington Art Museum. In addition to exhibits relating to Remington himself, the museum houses one of the world’s finest collections of his works including paintings, sketches and sculptures. The return trip to Canton takes you along the St. Lawrence River past Red Mills, home to the River Myst Winery, and through St. Lawrence County’s pastoral setting. also see St. Lawrence County Chamber for information on this and other rides
Family Bike Rides
Check out the Richards Landing Bike Trail and Whalen Park Trail that connect west of Massena at the Massena Country Club. The almost 3 miles of paved pathway along the St. Lawrence River provide a scenic and family-friendly ride between the Massena Town Beach and Whalen Park – both attractive parks with beaches and facilities located on the bank of the St. Lawrence River.
- Or for some island biking, try Robert Moses State Park, just northeast of Massena. The Park is located partly on the mainland and partly on Barnhart Island, and has a few quiet a few roads suitable for family biking. Visitors reach the park through a tunnel under the Eisenhower Lock. The park is spacious, home to a large variety of flora and fauna, and offers a multitude of recreational opportunities, including wooded campsites and cabins, a marina and boat launch, picnic areas, a swimming beach, and a year-round nature center. The park’s nature, hiking and cross-country skiing trails wind through fields, forests and wetlands, with overlooks showcasing spectacular views.
- South of the Scenic Byway, in Canton, is the enjoyable Remington Recreation Trail, a 3.3-mile recreational trail for walking, biking or rollerblading near Partridge Run Golf Course. The pdf map also shows other trails and paths in the Canton area.
For the St. Lawrence River area, check out these other biking resources:
- The Seaway Trail Bicycle Route, illustrated guidebook with six loop tour brochures and a 20-by-26-inch map.
- 25 Interesting Bicycle Trails in the Thousand Islands and St. Lawrence Seaway Region, a 25-trail guidebook.
- Bicycle St. Lawrence County, outlines 20 rides, each rated on a scale of 1 to 4, some with links to maps.
Not to Miss
- Robert Moses State Park, Massena – The park’s trails wind through fields, forests and wetlands, with overlooks showcasing spectacular views.
- Hawkins Point Visitors Center, Massena – Offers many opportunities to learn about energy in a scenic setting with impressive views of the power dam. You can hop on a bicycle generator and turn pedal power into electricity or have a hair-raising experience with static electricity using the Van de Graaff generator.
- Eisenhower Lock, Massena – Each year, tens of thousands of visitors view the locking of ships up to 740 feet long at the Eisenhower Lock observation deck. There also is a visitor center open from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
- Wilson Hill Wildlife Management Area, Massena – Wilson Hill WMA is an open-water wetland adjacent to the St. Lawrence River and it is not uncommon to find 15 to 20 different species of waterfowl during the spring and fall migrations. The observation tower along Route 131 provides a good overlook.
- Village of Waddington Walking Tour Route – 32 historic buildings and other features are documented on this short walking tour through picturesque Waddington on the St. Lawrence River. Historical information panels provide guidance along the route.
- Frederic Remington Art Museum, Ogdensburg. Located near his birthplace in the Thousand Islands area of New York, the Frederic Remington Art Museum showcases the life and works of Frederic Remington. See oil paintings, bronze sculptures, watercolors and drawings as well as personal artifacts. Open year-round.also see Great Lakes Seaway Trail for many more points of interest along this route
Bike Events in the Area
see the complete list of bike events for the region.
Bike Shops Nearby
- The Tread Mill, Potsdam
- Wear on Earth, Potsdam
- Frederick’s Bike Shop, Malonealso see the complete list of bike shops for the region
- Thousand Islands Region
- St. Lawrence County Tourism Information
- Massena Chamber of Commerce
- Ogdensburg Chamber of Commerce
- Waddington Chamber of Commerce
- Great Lakes Seaway Trail
also see the complete list of visitor information resources for the region
Check in with Chamber offices, bike shops and other sports shops in the area to get the latest information and review your route with someone knowledgeable of the area. When biking, dress for the weather and carry water, snacks, map, repair kit and cell phone. When biking in rural areas, services could be few and far between, and cell phone service may not always be available. See the Before You Ride notices in the bottom section of this website, as well as the Disclaimer notice.
Below are some of the sights along the way – scroll over an image to see its title, or click an image to enlarge it and then move through the entire gallery (from the gallery, click on one of the large image to return here, rather than using the back-button).